Individual FAQs - eFile (MyAccount Online Services)

How do I create MyAccount credentials?

Individual Taxpayers can electronically file their tax returns through MyAccount.

MyAccount-Online Services allows taxpayers to file current year and previous year returns, make payments and check account history.

  • Login and registration is necessary.
  • Information entered is stored and can be accessed and filed at a later date.
  • Information from the previous year filing is auto-populated and does not need to be re-entered.
  • Additional features available:
    • Check filing and payment history
    • Check estimated payments made
    • Send secure messages for any questions on filing your return.


How do I create MyAccount UserID and Password?

Create your login credentials, such as your UserID, Password, and challenge questions and answers at Create UserID.

If your tax account is already on file with RITA you will be able to skip part of the registration process and create your credentials within the same day.

If your name and address does not match RITA's records you will be prompted to contact Customer Service at 1.800.860.7482.

If you do not have a tax account you need to register with RITA to become an active taxpayer before you can eFile. To register enter the information to create your active tax account with RITA at Create UserID.

Once your account is active, you will receive a RITA Registration Complete confirmation email. At that point, you should be able to go back to the MyAccount page and create your login credentials.

Help Videos are available to assist with Registering and Creating a UserID and Password.

How long will it take me to receive a password from RITA so that I may eFile?

You create your own password and select security questions and answers when you enroll for MyAccount access. As soon as you have entered and submitted all the information requested on the New UserID Setup screen, you will receive an email from RITA with a link in the message to activate your UserID.

* the link is only valid for 24 hours. If you do NOT activate the UserID within the 24 hour period you will need to repeat the process of creating a UserID. As soon as your UserID is activated, you may access your account.

What should I do if I forgot my password for MyAccount or if my password is not accepted?

Select "Forgot Password?" link in the login screen at MyAccount

  • Enter your UserID
  • Enter you Email address

*note - the email address entered must be the email address that is associated with your account.  If you do not know the email address that is associated with your account, call customer service at 1-800-860-7482. 

An email will be sent to you with a link to change your password.

Watch the Forgot Password Help Video at Help Videos.

Can I file electronically through Turbo Tax?

Currently, Turbo Tax (Intuit) does not submit forms electronically to RITA. If you prepare your RITA tax return through Turbo Tax, you must print it out and mail to RITA  or you may enter the information and electronically file using MyAccount.

I filed electronically through a tax preparation service and I received a confirmation number that my RITA return was filed electronically, how can I verify that my return was filed?

Login to MyAccount and go to the File and Pay screen. This screen will provide history and filing status for current and prior year returns. Be sure that the tax year in question has the filing status “Filed (eFile)" or "Filed (paper)". If the filing status states “Begin eFiling" or "Continue eFiling” then the return has not been submitted to RITA. In this case, ask your tax preparer if a confirmation receipt was sent to the tax preparer. The tax preparer should have this notification on hand at the time your return was filed. Your tax preparer may have to resubmit the form or provide a paper copy to file by mail.

After eFiling in MyAccount, I have a tax liability (amount due). I can’t pay the tax liability right now, but I want to eFile. Will RITA accept my eFile and bill me for the tax due?

For the current tax year - no.  Payment must either be made in full when the form is submitted, or deferred to a date no later than the filing deadline (typically April 15).

If you are filing for delinquent years you may file without paying the tax liability. RITA will bill you for the amount due, including applicable penalty and interest charges.

I made a mistake on my eFiled return. Can I amend that eFiled return by using MyAccount?

No. All amended returns must be submitted on a paper form, with all supporting documentation attached.

How long does it take for a payment made in MyAccount to process?

The normal time for a payment made through MyAccount to post to your account is 3-4 business days.

I didn't file my return last year. Can I file delinquent returns online this year?

Yes. Login to MyAccount and select the File and Pay option.